The Hampton Roads market is moving quickly. Homes that sold in July sold in an average of 42 days. The good ole’ days where you had months to prepare your move are long gone! Don’t let the joy of you finding the perfect home be overshadowed by the overwhelming stress of having to pack your entire life into boxes.
Here are 6 tips on how you can prepare for your move in this fast-paced market.
- Purge What You Don’t Need or Want: Before you just stuff everything you’ve ever owned into boxes, take some time to sort through your belongings. You might be surprised at how much you’re not actually using. Consider donating or selling these items before you make your move so you can enter your new home clutter free!
- Pack Now, Not Later: Start packing now. With the swift pace of the market, procrastinating with your packing is not an option. Start with your seasonal items first. Those final days will be less stressful if you manage your time wisely.
- Find Boxes: You can find free boxes at liquor stores and some retailers. Avoid giant boxes and opt for medium to small ones instead. Remember, you need to be able to carry the boxes successfully onto and off of your moving truck.
- Label Your Boxes: While you’re thinking about packing also keep in mind unpacking. Make your life a little easier when you unload at your new home by properly labeling your boxes. Label by category and room so the movers will know exactly where to take your items. You can take it a step further and even color code your boxes with colored tape.
- Utilize Your Storage Bins: If you have baskets, bins, and suitcases laying around use them as storage to fill with items you intend to pack. This will help you save on finding more boxes.
- Find a Mover: While there are many to choose from in the area, including that loyal friend with the pickup truck, do your research to find the movers that fit your needs. Plan ahead so you don’t feel pressured to pick the first company you find. Be sure to make sure your movers are licensed, have great customer service, and an acceptable damage policy. Here are a list of movers in Hampton Roads to get you started on your search.
Now that you are ready to make that move, connect with one of our 8,000 agents to help you list your current home and/or find the perfect fit for you and your family. If it’s a question of what you can afford, check out our mortgage calculator to help estimate your monthly payments. For local listings you can trust, start with REIN.com.
Start with the Source. Share the Source. REIN.com. https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/organizing/moving/moving-packing-tips
https://makespace.com/blog/posts/moving-packing-tips/ https://www.homelight.com/blog/moving-tips-and-tricks/ https://www.google.com/search?q=moving+companies+in+hampton+roads&sz=0&sxsrf=ALeKk02Fj1B0beGWSK8hH2PoNXg0Vs0C5g:1597239010199&tbas=0&biw=1920&bih=969&dpr=1